Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Artist Interview with Jake Haze

Hello everyone! MissTaintedLove here with another artist interview. 

Today, I will be interviewing Jake Haze, who is a hip-hop artist from Allentown, Pennsylvania. I hope you enjoy the interview; you can check out Jake's music here

-----

What do you feel sets you apart from the crowd?
I try to have a message, whether one to wake you up from this false reality we live in, or whether to I'm trying to make you laugh out loud. 

If you could describe you and your music in five words, what would they be?
Crazy, Clever, Relaxed, Melodic, Unpredictable. 

How were you first introduced to music in your life?
My father and mother. My mom had the best taste in music, I still listen to all the artists she used to listen to. Plus my father was in a band most of my youth. Watching him do something so cool, that he loved was amazing to me. Also, I came out to be a natural, too.

At what point in your life was the defining moment that made you realize what you wanted to do, as a musician?
When I turned 25. I have been making music my entire life. My father was in a band, and my 1st song I ever wrote (at 4 years old) was a rap song, to my parents' horror. By 18 I was an accomplished producer in my area. Due to increasing pressure from my family and my girlfriend at the time, I was forced to quit my passion, instead sticking to producing music in the background for other artists of all genres, from NY, PA to Puerto Rico. By the time I was 24, I was miserable with the decisions I had made, mostly because of listening to other people. So, I decided to resume my heart's desire once more, this time without stopping. 

How long have you been making music now? 
Since I was literally 5. 

What was your first project? How have you grown since then?
My first full album was called "Soul Law". I released it at 15. It sucked. The production was decent, but the delivery and content sucked. I have grown to become a professional now, there is almost no comparison from then to now. 

What other artists, musicians, and producers have you worked with?
Many artists from PA & even nationwide. Whitney Peyton, Phillup Banks, Devin Hailey (son of K-Ci of Jodeci), Ed Monsta, Rushen Rulett, Jon Qwest and many more.

How do you describe the style/genre of your own music?
Alternative Hip Hop. It's Hip Hop with a lot of singing, blending of other genres in it, with lyrics that rap doesn't ever touch on. 

What type of music/artists have influenced you and your music?
The Beatles, Nino Bravo, Mocedades, Lionel Richie, Jay-Z, Kanye West, Dr Dre, Camilo Sesto, Air Supply, Barry White, Mana', La Ley, Louie Armstrong, the Bee Gees, Guns and Roses, Nirvana and of course the greatest ever, Michael Jackson 

What is the inspiration for your music?
Life. This world. I just take a look around, see the way I and everyone else lives, and it's inspiration. 

What type of mindset do you get into before you enter the studio to record? Do you do anything special to prepare yourself? 
I have to immerse myself in the lyrics of the song I am about to record, to be able to capture the emotions of the lyrics. I also have to be sober at the time of recording. There's a time for partying, and there's a time for work. That's how serious I take my craft. 


What do you feel is the best piece of music you've created? Why do you choose this one?
It's a song from my current album called "Wet Dreams". It's very sexy, its unlike anything you've heard from me, but also it's something you'd expect. 

What can you tell us about your current album? How does it differ from any of your previous projects?
It was the album that took the longest to complete. I think this reflected my personality and mind-state better than any other album I've ever released. It is way more mature, and polished than any of my previous efforts. 

Where do you see yourself as an artist five years from now?
Living on tour. Making fans on every corner of the world. Changing lives through my music. 

What plans do you have in the near future for music release/recording? What sets this upcoming project apart from your previous ones?
My immediate next project is a joint mixtape with my brother Rushen Rulett, tentatively called Army Of Two. His style completely contrasts against mines. He's cocky and aggressive, while I'm more witty and relaxed. But the outcome of our combined styles is amazing 

Any upcoming tour plans?
We're looking at hitting the road in January. Reading, Pittsburgh Philly, Jersey, All over NYC, New England and even Delaware. 

Any words of advice for young/aspiring musicians?
Make your own money, build your own fanbase. Invest and promote yourself aggressively. Don't wait for the record label to scoop you up magically, that is not the way to financial independence (contrary to popular belief). Don't believe the hype. 

What are your thoughts of the current state of the music industry? How do you feel you fit into it?
I don't, so I try to stay out of it. I don't believe in 4 (now 3) companies owning 85% of the market and media of the music industry. It's all about what sells, not about making good music anymore. So I'd rather stay independent.

Anything else?
I want to give a big shout out to my manager, Joanne Gass. My producer Art of 44js. My entire Red Top City/44js family. Also to all my supporters out there. Follow me on twitter @jakehazeredtop and on www.winningsince85.com

-----
Thanks for checking out the interview!

You can find Jake Haze at the links below:

No comments:

Post a Comment