Saturday, July 28, 2012

Interview with Antonio Giacca

Welcome back, guys! 

This is MissTaintedLove here with another artist interview. This time, with DJ, producer and label owner Antonio Giacca, from Los Angeles. 

Hope you enjoy the interview! You can check out Antonio's music here. More links can be found under the interview. 

----

How were you first introduced to music in your life?
My dad worked in a well known club in my hometown, Rome in Italy and he used to bring back home tapes from the guest DJs who’d come perform at his club and that’s how I started to get fascinated by the whole thing.
At what point in your life was the defining moment that made you realize what you wanted to do, as a musician?
Well I always been into dance music because it runs in the family, so I guess that’s pretty much what I wanted to do my whole life… by the age of 14 I said to myself “I want to be a DJ and produce my own music, and I want to be the best I can at it!”
How long have you been involved in music now? 
Pretty much since I was a teenager, as my dad used to run one of the most known clubs in my hometown Rome and I used to hang out with the DJs playing there since I was very young.
If you could describe you and your music in five words, what would they be?
Uplifting, exciting, melodic, original… entertaining!
What do you feel sets you apart from the crowd?
I play a lot of my own songs, remixes and bootlegs that I only produce for my own sets making the whole performance pretty original and unique.


How do you describe the style/genre of your own music?
I’d say progressive house with electro elements.
 
What was your first project? How have you grown since then?
I first started producing techno, minimal and tech house, very underground stuff… used to love going raves and made music that would be played in those kind of parties.
Then as I started developing my own style, I started liking more melodic stuff and ultimately vocals.

What type of music/artists have influenced you and your music?
Well, in the early days people like Sasha or John Digweed really inspired me a lot to try to think out of the box and stay true to yourself… Music wise I also loved a lot the old progressive sound, people needed to know what they were doing in the studio rather than throwing together a bunch of loops on Ableton.
 
What is the inspiration for your music?
When I get into the studio I try to picture how sexy girls in a club would dance to the beats I am making… If I picture them to shake their booty a lot then I know I’m making an awesome track! 


What other artists, musicians, and producers have you worked with?
I have been collaborating with a lot of artists from all over the world but I am currently focusing on working in my own studio with JJ Flores, my studio partner on a lot of my productions, on the tracks for the up and coming album.
 
What do you feel is the best piece of music you've created? Why do you choose this one?
I had a lot of success with the track Majestic, which made it to Beatport number one for its genre a while back and it’s now being re-released with some pretty cool remixes and a very “special” video on a major label. People love this song and remember me a lot because of that one, so I guess it has a special meaning as I started to get noticed a lot after that.
 
What can you tell us about your current album? How does it differ from any of your previous projects?
The album is a collaboration with an old friend of mine and it’s more “pop”, with proper songs featuring both well established and up and coming singers.
My own solo projects are all about getting down and dirty in a club, so proper bangers although they still have some melodic elements in it.
 
 
What type of mindset do you get into before you enter the studio? Do you do anything special to prepare yourself?
When I am not in a studio or a club I try to listen to more chilled music like Ambient, Classic, Old Rock… even 60s and 70s stuff… it’s always good to get inspiration from different styles of music and try to fuse a little bit of them into my productions to make them different from what everybody else is doing… Trying to give it a little “soul”, even if it’s electronic music!
 
What plans do you have in the near future for music release/recording? What sets this upcoming project apart from your previous ones?
Well after my latest releases did very well I now have a lot of new tracks and remixes coming out on a bunch of major labels so I expect them to do very well as they will have the right support behind them and a lot of big DJs have already been playing them all around the glove with great success!
 
Any upcoming tour plans?
I am currently finishing my first album and there will be a USA and South American tour to promote is at the time of its official release which is pretty exciting!
 
Where do you see yourself five years from now?
Definitely ranking in the top 10 dj's in the world! 

What are your thoughts of the current state of the music industry? How do you feel you fit into it?
Well dance music is becoming the new hip hop… so personally I am really happy that more and more people are embracing electronic music because that’s what I loved my whole life!
 
Any words of advice for young/aspiring musicians?
Make music the way you want to, so that you have your own style, but also always make sure you keep an eye for what’s working at the moment.

----
Thanks, guys! Hope you enjoyed the interview! I want to thank Antonio for the interview!
 
Once more, you can check out Antonio Giacca at...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment